Follow Joe Gande on Twitter Facebook Google+ LinkedIn Soundcloud LinkedIn itunes Amazon Spotify Pinterest

Saturday, June 8, 2013

Zucchini Parmesan Recipe

I fried up some Zucchini the other night to make one of my favorites...zucchini parmesan..
Some of you may have seen the photo post on Facebook or Twitter...etc...
I'm just catching up a bit here and working on my website and blogs this weekend so I thought I'd post the recipe today...
This meal with a nice glass of vino & a side of pasta...ahhhh...now that's livin'! :)lol

Most people when they think "parmesan" they think eggplant, chicken..even maybe veal....but one of my favorite "parmesan" dishes is made with Zucchini...

Start by getting your self some nice fresh zucchini...and take your time picking them out...believe me, it makes a difference....not to small....not too big....you want medium to smaller size with a nice shiny skin without blemishes...they have to be just right :) They have to look good...or at least look good to your own personal standards anyway...lol...it matters...really....food and cooking is art...well to me...

Next, wash the zucchini,  cut off the ends and slice it long ways...

Add a little olive oil to a deep frying pan and begin to warm it up...

In a large bowl....crack some eggs....whisk them up a bit...and dip the zucchini...then lightly coat with a mixture of bread crumbs, some grated cheese and a pinch of salt and pepper...I used panko bread crumbs for these...They are excellent and have the perfect crunch...and they do not change the flavor of the zucchini...I often use homemade bread crumbs..or simply some plain or Italian style bread crumbs...use whatever your favorite store bought brand may be if you'd like...or whatever you may have in the house...

After they're set to go...just fry them up....not too long...turning a few times...until they just start to soften up a bit and turn a nice golden brown color here and there...see picture below....

Now...I sometimes just like to do this quick and skip the parmesan/baking part...and mangia!! They are delicious and can be a great meal as is...or also a wonderful appetizer or side dish...


 Click photo to enlarge

But this time I wanted to layer them parmesan style...so, just layer them with some cheese and sauce in a baking dish....a few layers is fine...and bake for about a half hour at 325 or so....see photo below...I prefer to use the leftover sauce from the weekend...whatever sauce I made for Sunday's meal...it's perfect for this...but of course you can improvise and/or make a quick, fresh marinara sauce or use whatever you'd like ...

I also like to combine cheeses...and not make it too thick...I used fresh and grated cheeses for each layer...Parmigiano Reggiano, Asiago and of course some Mozzarella...the combination is perfect! :)

                                                                 Click photo to enlarge


They will come out looking like this....piping hot and all melted in cheesy goodness!


                                                               Click photo to enlarge


This is probably enough for dinner as it is....but I like to sometimes serve it with a side of pasta....I chose a capellini for this meal...perfetto!! :) 


                                                               Click photo to enlarge

All you need is a nice glass of your favorite wine now...and you can add some more grated cheese and peperoncino (dried hot pepper flakes) to your taste... and you have a beautiful light and very healthy meal!

I thank you all  for reading my blog...please leave your comments...your thoughts, ideas and favorite recipes for zucchini here...and feel free to share with your friends and family....

I will definitely have this recipe in more detail and more about zucchini in my cookbook....so stay tuned and subscribe to/follow my blog to stay updated! :)

Connect with me on Facebook, Twitter and Google Plus to stay in touch...

You can also make a donation through the Paypal button at the top left of the blog if you'd like to...any amount...it really helps out..and goes towards the costs of maintaing this blog, the cookbook and also music projects....thanks so much to all of you out there that have done so so far and also that have purchased CDs and merchandise...your support is so very appreciated...

Love,
Joe

No comments:

Post a Comment