Follow Joe Gande on Twitter Facebook Google+ LinkedIn Soundcloud LinkedIn itunes Amazon Spotify Pinterest

Thursday, June 20, 2013

A classic...Spaghetti and Meatballs-My Mother's are better than yours! :) LOL and Mom's Tony Bennett story

A classic...Spaghetti and Meatballs for lunch today...
This is one of my favorites...and the recipe will be in my upcoming cookbook...

I can eat this anywhere and I like it..even at the worst pizza joint around...lol...you can't go wrong...but...
No one...and I mean No one.... makes meatballs better than my Mom! :)lol
I know....every son or daughter says this...don't we? We all think our Mom's or Grandmother's Meatballs and/or sauce is the best....but I'll tell you...I've eaten all over...from fine 5 star restaurants to friends and family's houses to out of the way dumps and dives and every place in-between ...and it's true....my Mother's are the best! 
Just ask anybody that has had one! :) lol All the women in the family over the years even know and acknowledge this...theirs are good...they are certainly delicious...but my Mom's are better! :) LOL...
They are simply magic I tell you! LOL And objectively..and not as a Son...I have to say...my Mother is one hell of an awesome cook!! :)

A little anecdote...
When my Mom was young...before she met and married my Father...she was at  a Tony Bennett show in Connecticut in the 1950's...a place called Wright's I believe...he was very well known...and considered famous to those in the know and that liked Jazz and big band music...but not yet world famous as one thinks of him later in his career...he was Italian...and Calabrese...like my Mother's family, and had heard about my Mother's cooking through mutual musician friends and the grapevine...and so they were all talking after his performance and he wanted to come over the house to eat with everybody! Of course..my Mother...being very cool...very shy...and a good Italian, Catholic, girl/daughter...said NO! :) LOL 
One of my Mother's closes friends became Tony's bass player after that night...
And Tony later sent my Mother letters and 2 autographed albums!! :) Even though she said no..he still tried! :)lol
I love this story! And all stories like this in general...So romantic...so old fashioned and such a wonderful small slice of history...it must have been an awesome time to be on the scene back in the day...Of course I've always thought I belonged in a different time! :) 
I've heard Mom and other relatives tell this story over the years and it never gets old...and she always says in her words "what a lovely man and a gentleman he was"....

I've been making meatballs for a long time now..and they are very good...or so I have been told...depending on the day and ingredients on hand...but they always fall just slightly short of my Mom's, even though she taught me and I use the exact same ingredients! :)lol 
Why is this!? It is one of the great mysteries of life I suppose....

Please follow/subscribe to my blog to  keep updated on happenings...

Hope you all had a beautiful day! 
Buon Giovedi a tutti! :)
Love,
 Joe


Click photo to enlarge

No comments:

Post a Comment